Multimedia Design Specialist (Senior Graphic Designer)
The School of Business Office of Marketing and Communications is seeking a full-time Multimedia Design Specialist. The incumbent will report to the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications, create highly complex designs and illustrations for promotional, educational, technical and informational materials, and will be responsible for the design of print and digital publications. The Multimedia Design Specialist will independently execute the graphic design/publication process from initial consultation to design through production of the finished product. The position will be based at the Graduate Business Learning Center in Hartford. Evening and weekend hours may be required on occasion to meet project deadlines. In-state and out-of-state travel may also be required on occasion in support of office/project needs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include but are not limited to:
- Responsibility for the design of specific print, web, and digital projects, including websites, email marketing campaigns, advertising campaigns, strategic communications projects, and social media integration. Project deliverables include but are not limited to: websites, magazines, newsletters, reports, advertisements, brochures, banners, displays, visual marks, logos, interactive/multi-media projects, and graphic design for web, email, digital, social, and event marketing campaigns.
- For each project, consulting with the client and project team regarding design needs, target audience, strategic goals, deadlines, budgets, and brand awareness.
- Independently planning layout and design of print and digital projects, exercising originality and creativity in developing proper focus of the project to meet audience needs and strategic goals.
- Determining the use and coordinating the production and/or selection of photographs, illustrations, and other design elements to achieve project goals.
- Choosing style and size of type, preparing layout and mock-ups, selecting paper stock when applicable (color, weight, texture, treatment, etc.), sometimes including complex color processing and finish techniques.
- Overseeing the production of specific print and digital design work, ensuring quality standards, budget, and deadlines are met, electronic uses are tested, and intended visual image is conveyed, and coordinating distribution of the finished product.
- Preparing formal bid specifications for on and off-campus printing, graphics/signage, and other vendors.
- Assisting in developing and championing brand design standards for the School of Business.
- Serving as a resource to the business school community on best practices in design and web user experience. Serving as a consultant to faculty, staff, and other constituents regarding the most effective design and techniques to produce the desired visual effect.
- Conducting ongoing best practice research to stay abreast of industry trends in web design and development, including ADA and usability requirements, as well as printing processes and design software services.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field.
- 4-5 years of on-the-job experience in multimedia design or a related field.
- Evidence of creative ideation, design, and technical skills as demonstrated by a portfolio including the types of work outlined above.
- Demonstrated experience with creative design software such as Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc.) and MS Office365 (PowerPoint, Word, Excel).
- Proven experience making content and design updates to websites using platforms such as WordPress and familiarity with code such as HTML and CSS.
- Demonstrated experience successfully overseeing multiple projects at one time, meeting tight deadlines, efficiently managing workflow, taking initiative and working independently to carry out difficult assignments.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills with the ability to interact collaboratively with clients, production team members, and external vendors/partners.
- Demonstrated ability to receive and accept criticism and use the feedback in a constructive way for an acceptable outcome.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Dependable transportation and willingness and ability to work evening and weekend hours and travel in-state and out-of-state on occasion to meet project deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience solving complex design problems to meet marketing objectives.
- Proven experience designing original, responsive website templates in platforms such as WordPress providing elegant user experience for both desktop, tablet, and mobile devices.
- Strategic marketing/multimedia design experience in a university and/or healthcare setting.
- Proven experience using/designing email marketing software (Mailchimp, Constant Contact, etc.)
- 7+ years of multimedia design experience.
- Demonstrated experience supervising professional, temporary, or student employees.
This is a full-time position based in Hartford, CT.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #496345 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on May 19, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.