NYS Mesonet Software Engineer
NYS Mesonet Software Engineer (R22-80)
About RF for SUNY at the University at Albany:
Employment is with The Research Foundation for the State University of New York, a private, nonprofit, educational corporation that provides essential sponsored program administration and innovation support services to SUNY faculty and students whose ideas and research generate ground-breaking discovery and translate to entrepreneurial and economic development opportunities for New York State.
Working at the SUNY Research Foundation for the University at Albany, you will be part of a team that provides essential services to the University as it moves to the front ranks of American higher education, supporting the advancement of education, research and discovery. The University at Albany, a nationally recognized research university with outstanding faculty, researchers and staff, offers challenging, exciting and rewarding careers to those who seek opportunities to grow and excel.
Description of Duties:
The NYS Mesonet Software Engineer will assist the Senior Program Analyst in the development and maintenance of software and applications that ingest, process, archive, and distribute data and products. The Software Engineer will initially focus on developing products associated with a new Fire Weather Model using Mesonet data. Later, the position will shift to development and maintenance of software associated with data ingest, quality control, product development, data API access, website development, and more. This work includes adapting research projects into fail-safe, operational products running on production-grade Linux servers.
- Develop and implement automated, real-time quality control software for weather sensor monitoring.
- Aid the development, testing, and integration of research products into Mesonet operations.
- Develop improved API access and other data sharing technologies.
- Develop and maintain the Mesonet website and related products
- A Bachelor's Degree or equivalent with course work in Computer Science or a related field from a college or university accredited by the U.S. Department of Education or an internationally recognized accrediting organization.
- 2+ years of experience as a professional Software Engineer
- Experience in data analysis and product development using Python
- Fluent in standard command-line Linux utilities
- Ability to work with a team and with minimal supervision
- Ability to be in the Albany, NY office full time.
- All applicants must address in their application their ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Familiarity with meteorological instrumentation and/or scientific data collection
- Experience with using modern version control systems such as Git
- Knowledge of GIS concepts such as map projections, raster datasets, and vector datasets
- Knowledge of netCDF, JSON, and CSV data formats
- Experience in creating APIs using PHP, Python, and/or Node
- Experience with relational database management systems, including knowledge of SQL statements and database design
- Ability to design and implement a modern, responsive, accessible, and interactive web app using React, Vue, and/or other similar frameworks
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Salary Range: Depending on experience
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, The Research Foundation for SUNY will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, physical and mental disability, criminal record, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, status with respect to receiving public assistance, domestic violence victim status, a disabled, special, recently separated, active duty wartime, campaign badge, Armed Forces service medal veteran, or any other characteristics protected under applicable law.
The Research Foundation for The State University of New York offers exceptional benefits such as healthcare, dental, vision, pension plans, competitive pay, generous paid time off, tuition assistance, life insurance and long-term disability insurance. The University at Albany offers a variety of performing arts, world class libraries, and competitive sporting events.
Persons interested in the above position should submit a resume, three work-related references, along with a letter of application to https://rfhr.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=157406
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.