FILING DEADLINE DATE
The purpose of this classification is to create and implement environmental and cultural programs at local natural area parks.
The Park Naturalist develops and implements public nature and conservation education programming and displays for park visitors, school groups, scouts, and others in both indoor and outdoor settings. The position works with and trains seasonal staff and volunteers to lead programs and conduct innovative educational initiatives in parks. The Park Naturalist serves as the public's point of contact for requested programs and is charged with communicating about and organizing the logistics of park programming.
- Bachelor's degree in a field related to the job
- Two (2) years of related experience
- Additional years of related education may substitute for years of experience
- Additional years of related experience may substitute for years of education
- Develops and conducts park program activities and events and maintains and updates educational displays
- Oversees volunteer programming and trains, schedules, and supervises volunteers and interns
- Engages with divisions and other entities to develop relationships and coordinate activities designed to benefit park programs
- Develops educational and promotional information related to park activities and events for social media
- Performs administrative duties related to goals, objectives and accreditation, including but not limited to record keeping, data entry, and statistical reporting
- Enforces rules and regulations of recreational facilities to maintain order and ensure safety
- Develops and maintains relationships with internal and external program stakeholders including LFUCG employees, businesses, vendors, neighborhood associations, and/or the general public
- Performs related work as assigned
- Valid Driver's License
- First Aid and CPR/AED Certification must be obtained within first six (6) months of employment
- Appropriate pesticide license from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture within first six (6) months of employment
Must be able to work flexible hours and/or weekends, holidays, perform on-call duty, and split shifts when required.