Housing and Residence Life Business and Finance Analyst
Housing and Residence Life Business and Finance Analyst
George Mason University’s University Life (UL) is hiring a Business and Finance Analyst to work with Housing & Residence Life (HRL). George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About Housing & Residence Life (HRL):
Housing & Residence Life (HRL) is a self-supporting auxiliary organization within the University Life unit of George Mason University. HRL serves a highly diverse population of approximately 6,200 students, the majority of which are undergraduates living in traditional, suite, and apartment-style residence halls on three campuses within the vibrant Northern Virginia area. HRL employs over 170 full-time and graduate staff and over 350 undergraduate student staff. HRL is committed to provide a safe, well-maintained student-centered environment that is innovative and inclusive of a global community. It is dedicated to creating a home that enriches the experience of our students, staff and faculty.
The main areas of focus for the Housing Business and Finance Analyst (BFA) is to: 1) develop a comprehensive understanding of the HRL operational financials, with an emphasis on all sources/uses of HRL spending/expenses; 2) identify, translate, synthesize, and consolidate HRL financial data into succinct, meaningful, customer-focused reporting for both non-financial/operational and financial stakeholders; 3) support HRL in financial activities including budgeting, reconciliation, variance analysis, and accounting system setup and access; and 4) interpret and define VA Commonwealth and Mason financial processes and accounting definitions for HRL application, and disseminate information to HRL staff on these topics.
Financial Analysis, Monthly Reporting and Reconciliation:
- Develop and maintain proficiency with multiple Mason financial systems;
- Fully understand HRL’s expense structure and all pieces and nuances incorporated into each year’s annual expense budget;
- Annually develop and maintain a subsidiary ledger/database based on budgeted expense categories that ties monthly to Banner financials;
- Create the monthly HRL expense report which includes operational expenses by budget owner and expense category;
- Create and distribute monthly financial labor distribution reports;
- Maintain high-level understanding of accounting attached to HRL academic year room rental and summer operation revenues;
- Provide data to Associate Director of Housing Operation as necessary to support annual ARMICS and special audit inquiries.
Other Expense Budgets and Reporting, Fiscal Processes and Special Projects:
- Derive and update organizational fiscal year line-items;
- Develop in-depth understanding of nuances of HRL spending and special expenses;
- Support the AD-B&F with annual budget processes;
- Work alongside HRL budget owners to develop and maintain a process and reporting to project year-end expenditures;
- Compile and report quarterly accounts receivables to Mason General Accounting for non-student accounts billing (e.g., external billing for summer interns, conferences, camps and other hospitality revenues);
- Record and reconcile daily deposits received during housing selection;
- Retrieve Telecom bills from Pinnacle system on a monthly basis and review/investigate any large variances in billing or changes in FOAPL (accounting);
- Develop a working relationship with UL-HR Specialist and UL-HRL staff development team;
- Provide high-level guidance to HRL team regarding PCard submissions and general PCard questions, with the ability to audit PCard (BOA) system as needed;
- Mediate large-scale issues between HRL cohorts (i.e., Purchasing, Accounts Payable, Cashiers Office, Treasury, General Accounting, etc.) and Mason staff;
- Prepare and submit Journal Vouchers on behalf of the department and ensure proper payment is issued/received;
- Collaborate with Mason Accounts Payable, Sodexo Dining, and other applicable offices;
- Document all policies and processes pursuant to the position, and positions reporting to the BFA; disseminate information to HRL personnel as necessary.
- Represent HRL in meetings/forums with other financial analysts and business managers in UL, Auxiliary Enterprise, and Mason teams as warranted;
- Actively support and comply with all University policies, HRL regulations, and departmental vision and goals;
- Is considered a designated employee for HRL with regards to severe weather, campus emergencies, and other significant HRL events, including opening and closing;
- Maintain proficiency at current level and continually update knowledge;
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with cohorts in various Mason organizations;
- Attend and participate professionally and effectively in HRL training sessions, meetings, conferences, and departmental committees as assigned;
- Reporting to the Associate Director of Business and Finance (AD-B&F), the BFA performs other duties as assigned by the AD-B&F or the Chief Housing Officer;
- Assist in fulfilling duties of vacant positions within the department.
- Demonstrated full time experience (typically obtained in 3-5 years) in Accounting/Business Administration;
- Strong collaborative and customer service skills;
- Ability to condense voluminous financial data into concise, informative reporting;
- Advanced in MS Excel;
- Strong financial review and reconciliation skills;
- Advanced use of data analytics platforms to generate financial reporting;
- Strong financial acumen; excellent analytical and organizational skills; investigative nature with desire to solve problems and revamp current processes; ability to handle sensitive and confidential employee and budgetary data in a timely and accurate manner;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and proactively;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment with a desire for knowledge expansion and professional challenges as a means for growth and development;
- Demonstrated experience working with MS Office Suite, specifically advanced Excel.
- Complete and comprehensive understanding of accounting theory with the ability to anticipate financial issues and forecast expenditures based on data and trends; familiarity with VA Department of Accounts use of accounts and processes preferred;
- Advanced use of data analytics platforms to generate financial reporting (prior use with MicroStrategy strongly preferred);
- Familiarity with MS Access;
- Demonstrated working knowledge of report retrieval and access to Banner financial systems (e.g., MicroStrategy), and work with eVA (state online procurement system for the Commonwealth of Virginia), or similar systems in state institutions;
- Professional full-time work experience in related field (typically obtained in 3-5 years);
- Experience in University Housing, Housing Management, or other customer service field.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 09659z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.