Executive Director, Digital Content & Distribution
Executive Director, Digital Content & Distribution
The George Mason University, Office of University Branding, invites applications for an Executive Director of Digital Content & Distribution. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
In addition to a first-class culture at Virginia’s largest public university, this position offers:
- Potential for hybrid telework scheduling
- Competitive salary
- Outstanding benefits including:
- Excellent health/dental/vision insurance that are below the industry average for out of pocket costs due to being state supplemented, industry leading retirement plans available including the state VRS Hybrid retirement pension plan and a full match option, 24 accrued paid days off per year, paid holidays, over a week of paid winter break, paid sick leave, paid family and personal leave, professional development, tuition exemption at GMU, and employee assistance programs.
Purpose of the Organization:
The Office of University Branding, formerly Communications and Marketing, manages university-wide strategic communications, marketing, creative services, digital strategy, and events. Today, we are tasked with building and leading an institutional brand strategy that positions Mason as an indispensable university in the world to come.
About the Position:
The Executive Director of Digital Content & Distribution directs the digital strategy for the University and provides the framework and leadership in supporting the local units’ integration and cross-promotion within the full Mason eco system to ensure a well branded, current, customer-focused experience.
This position provides leadership and oversight in ensuring brand consistency and uniformity for Mason’s website and digital content channels in support of strategic institutional goals – including institutional reputation, enrollment, student and faculty engagement recruitment, fundraising, alumni and community relations, academic excellence, access and inclusion, research and innovative partnerships, and regional economic and talent growth.
As part of the leadership team in the Office of University Branding, the Executive Director collaborates with the Creative and News Team, as well as other university communications teams, to lead Mason’s consumer facing digital ecosystem, including content and design, as part of a brand refresh. The Executive Director enables and tracks measurement tools and analyses to improve brand awareness and expand digital experiences across all platforms – including social, streaming, and email newsletters – to educate and engage Mason’s core audiences. The Executive Director exhibits applied knowledge and understanding of how to build and deploy a multi-contributors content management platform, and manage a proliferation of social media channels to Mason’s brand advantage, alongside effective storytelling, information architecture and collaboration skills, within a decentralized system. Reporting directly to the Deputy VP, the Executive Director manages a team of content creators, developers, and a project manager.
- Define and drive long-term digital editorial strategy and positioning of new brand image through multiplatform content;
- Develop the University visual news-style and social media video storytelling strategy and process for editorial guidance and production training across University teams;
- Develop original content ideas and concepts for video, audio, text, animations, graphics and other multimedia formats that aligns to news and marketing campaigns;
- Oversee short-form video from pitch to final production, including conceptualization, storyboarding, interviewing, videography, and providing critical feedback to the video editors and producers;
- Collaborate with OUB’s Creative to build and launch a new digital asset management system;
- Lead and develop the web team. Provide strategic oversight of an enterprise platform and Content Management System (CMS) for the main Mason website (gmu.edu), and guidance for associated sites, in collaboration with ITS, driving accuracy and improvements to enhance brand and communications strategies;
- Develop and maintain a plan to foster brand alignment and adoption of new brand theme with other university-related sites and channels, integrating best practices around content creation, user experience, SEO, mobile-optimization, and measurement tracking;
- Direct and develop a team of social media strategists for Mason’s social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snap, and TikTok), expanding reach and engagement, while providing overall strategic direction for organic and paid campaigns and influencer engagement in collaboration with social team leads within Mason’s network of Colleges, Institutes, and Centers;
- Expand opportunities for audio and podcasting production and distribution; and
- Lead a metrics-driven team responsive to audience data (i.e., behaviors and interests) in a rapidly changing media environment.
- Master’s Degree in related field or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience;
- Extensive experience (generally 10+ years) of increasing responsibility in digital strategies, narrative and story development, web management, and multiplatform content management;
- Demonstrated experience in media, public relations, and/or journalism is preferred, bringing an ability to identify digital story opportunities and an editorial judgement and integrity to the position;
- Demonstrated experience managing complex projects and teams of writers, producers, and editors to create compelling multimedia work;
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in web development and technologies including large content management platforms with multiple contributors, search engine marketing/web site optimization and mobile websites, usability testing and measurement tools, email and text marketing tools;
- Demonstrated experience helping subject-area experts translate curriculum, research, legal and policy, health and environmental advancements, and technological advancements into dynamic visual-led content meeting audiences where they are; and
- Considerable knowledge of relevant social and media analytics tools for monitoring social engagement, audience intelligence, KPI development, and data visualization with the ability to stay up-to-date on all social platforms and identify emerging trends to advance the Mason brand and education.
- Skilled in effective writing, organization, situational judgment, interpersonal relations, and communications;
- Ability to generate, analyze, and interpret various digital audience metrics to inform strategic decision making;
- Demonstrated sense of creativity with an ability to collaborate with diverse groups with various stakeholder priorities, and ability to display leadership through a high level of creative solutions and change management;
- Competency and commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion; and
- Interest in developing talent and teams, as well as working with students.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA07KZ at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, three examples of outstanding, multimedia work (as Other Doc), and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.