Assistant Chief Flight Instructor
Assistant Chief Flight Instructor
Job Class Code
Limited Term Length
The School of Aviation is seeking candidates for Assistant Chief Flight Instructor. Reporting to the Director of Operations and Chief Flight Instructor, this position assists in the administration and oversight of the flight operations and flight course portions of the Professional Flight degree program offered through the College of Liberal Arts.
Working in Professional Flight is dynamic and employees have access to well-maintained, current, and plentiful resources. Our training fleet of airplanes and simulation devices offer the latest state-of-the-art technology and features. Our building facilities have been recently constructed and offer well-furnished and equipped offices and classrooms. Aside from the amenities, employees in Professional Flight will find an environment that is team-focused and employee-oriented. Fellow employees are friendly, kind-hearted people that offer a wealth of knowledge in their respective area, which greatly fosters an environment in which people want to come to work. Employees seem to naturally help each other and assist where necessary. We really believe, as a whole, we exemplify “team” by helping and lifting others as we help and lift ourselves. While our airplanes, simulations, and facilities are in great condition, ultimately, our employees are who make us top tier. If you feel that this is a place in which you would flourish, we encourage you to apply and join our team!
About Auburn: At Auburn, our work changes lives. Ranked by U.S. News and World Report as a premier public institution, Auburn University is dedicated to shaping the future of the people of Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking education, life-enhancing research, scholarship, and selfless service. Auburn is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, community outreach, positive work environment, student engagement, and thriving community.
Why employees choose Auburn: Auburn University was named by Forbes Magazine as one of the state of Alabama’s best employers, with employees staying an average of ten years. Employees enjoy competitive benefits that include top-notch health insurance, generous retirement plans, tuition assistance for employees and dependents, flexible spending accounts, and more!
Learn more about Auburn’s impact, generous employee benefits, and thriving community by visiting aub.ie/working-at-auburn.
Our Commitment: Auburn University is committed to a diverse and inclusive campus environment. Visit auburn.edu/inclusion to learn more about our commitment to expanding equity and inclusion for all.
• Assists in the effective leadership and supervision of flight instructor staff, assigned staff, and flight students to achieve standardized instructions and uniform adherence to established educational goals.
• Assists with promoting and maintaining the highest level of safety possible for the AU flight training operation.
• Assists, as directed, with operational planning related to student progress, equipment acquisition, curriculum development and program strategies.
• Assists in maintaining pilot school documentation and academic records in accordance with Federal Aviation Administration, Veterans Administration and Auburn University policy and directives.
• Assists in maintaining full compliance with all associated federal, state, and local regulations.
• Assists, as directed, with meeting all applicable Federal Aviation Administration policies and regulations pertaining to AU’s FAA-approved Part 141 Pilot School certification and examining authority approvals.
• Coordinates, as directed, with airport maintenance and operations staff on safety and operational issues affecting the pilot school and its students and flight instructors.
• Performs other related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
• Supervisory Responsibility: Full supervisory responsibility for other employees is a major responsibility and includes training, evaluating, and making or recommending pay, promotion or other employment decisions.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
Field of Study
Degree in Management, Aviation, or related field
Years of Experience
Must meet the applicable requirements outlined in the FAA 14 CFR, Part 141.36
Area of Experience
• Have at least 500 hours as pilot in command;
• Have flight training experience acquired as either a certificated flight instructor or an instructor in a military pilot flight training program, or a combination thereof, consisting of at least 1 year and a total of 250 flight hours, or 500 flight hours;
• Have at least 50 hours of flight time under actual or simulated instrument conditions;
• Have instrument flight instructor experience acquired as either a certificated flight instructor-instrument or an instructor in a military pilot flight training program, or a combination thereof,
• consisting of at least 1 year and a total of 125 flight hours, or 200 flight hours.
Minimum Skills and Abilities
Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of FAA regulations and the fundamentals of instructing. Developed skills in flight safety and flight instruction.
Minimum License and Certifications
• FAA Commercial Pilot certification with Airplane Single-Engine and Instrument-Airplane ratings;
• FAA Flight Instructor certification with Airplane Single-Engine and Instrument-Airplane ratings;
• At least an FAA 3rd Class medical certificate.
$51,900 - $86,400
List any hazardous conditions or physical demands required by this position
Occasional and/or light lifting required. Limited exposure to elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc., but none to the point of being disagreeable. May involve minor safety hazards where likely result would be cuts, bruises, etc.
A commitment to an inclusive and diverse campus environment is required. Women, underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach copies of the following with your application materials:
pilot, flight instructor, and FAA medical certificates
To apply: https://www.auemployment.com/postings/31863